Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Every year is election year in Virginia. Add in primaries and special elections, and there are many more elections every year, all with consequences.
Control of this year’s Virginia General Assembly came down to pulling a name out of bowl (literally). In 2019, every seat in the House of Delegates and Virginia Senate will be on the ballot.
While some good things did happen in this year’s session of the General Assembly, (eviction protections, foster care reform, step towards menstrual equity, to name some), other important legislation stalled because of party politics and ideology, including reforming fines and effects on drivers licenses; seat belt laws and legislation on distracted driving.
A huge number of candidates will seek seats on the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and School Board as well, with the direction and tone of the future hanging in the balance.
Results of 2019 Elections will matter in many ways.
Are you registered to vote? Check here:
May 7, 2019 - Vienna Town Council Elections
June 11, 2019 - Primary Elections
Nov. 5, 2019 - General & Special Elections
2019 Elections Include:
Filing deadline for parties, March 28
Primary if held: June 11
General Election Nov. 5
Virginia Senate (4-year term)
House of Delegates (2-year term)
Soil and Water Directors (4-year term)
Board of Supervisors
Counties: 4-year terms:
- Commonwealth's Attorney
- Commissioner of Revenue
Vienna Town Council
In case you wonder what will be on the ballot next, here is a guide.
Virginia has a General Election every year on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November.
- Federal offices are elected in even-numbered years.
- State and Local offices are elected in odd-numbered years.
- Clifton Mayor and Town Council are elected in even-number years on the first Tuesday in May.
- Herndon Mayor and Town Council are elected in even-number years on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November.
- Vienna Mayor and 3 Town Council members are elected in even-numbered years on the first Tuesday in May.
- 3 Vienna Town Council members are elected in odd-numbered years on the first Tuesday in May.
- If primaries are called by the political parties, they are held on the second Tuesday in June.
— Mary Kimm, firstname.lastname@example.org